Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Turn A Coat Into A bag: Tutorial

Okay, here goes nothing. I am not good at explaining things, I am good at showing them. I hope you can get through this tutorial with these pictures and my directions, but if not leave your question in the comment section and I will answer in the comments as well.

What you will need:
An old leather, suede, or tweed coat. The blazer type works best, but any kind will do. If you choose one with the big elastic at the bottom simply cut it off before you get started. Also if your coat has a zipper or snaps, cut those off too.

A leather needle. I got mine from Joann's. If you coat feels thin, or you are using tweed, a denim needle should do.

Fabric for the lining.

Four extra large grommets, with grommet tool. You can get these at Joann's.

A buckle, or button- optional.

Scissors

Matching thread.

First lay out your coat so the two front opening panels are together wrong sides facing. If your coat has pockets, these make great outside pockets for your bag.
Cut straight across the jacket, a few inches under the sleeves. You will see where the extra fabric under the arm starts to get a little bunchy if you try to straighten it out. Cut just under that part for a straighter cut.
You should have something that looks like this. This is the outside of your bag.


My coat was curved at the two front corners. If this is the case, simply use the curved edge as a pattern and cut the other two sides to match the curved edge.
Then cut out all of the lining that you can to make it easier on your machine.
Take your lining fabric and using the outside of your bag as a pattern, cut out two pieces for your liner.

Next we are going to cut out the strap. If you have extra fabric under the arm you can cut there, or use a sleeve. Make sure you use the whole length of the coat. If you cut thorough the sleeve cut through both so you end up with one long strip, starting at the end of one sleeve going all the way to the end of the next one. This part may come out wonky. That is okay, just square it up by folding in half with wrong sides together.










Now, it is time to sew your bag together. With right sides together pin in place with raw top edges meeting. The suede I used was pretty tough and hard to cut. I didn't even try to sew through all the layers. You can see I went just outside all the layers, using about 1/2" seam.




Turn your bag right side out.
Do the same with the lining fabric, but do not sew up the bottom! This will be your opening to pull your bag through after you sew the two pieces together.
This is the time to add a buckle, like I did here, a button loop or a flap. Simply cut out what you would like and sew wrong sides together.





Now, we will sew the pieces together. If you have added a buckle or flap, fold the outside of your purse in half and finger press. Do the same with your flap or buckle. Match the two lines in place and pin right sides facing.
Turn your liner inside out and the outside of your bag right side out. Put the right side of the bag inside your liner.
Sew all the way around the top raw edges of the bag, using 1/2 inch seam.








Then pull the right side of your bag through the hole in the lining. like so.
Sew up the rest of the lining.
At this time you can add a top stitch all the way around your bag if you would like.
Next you will need to follow the directions on the back of your grommets. You can place these however you want. It will depend on the placement of your outside pockets if you have them. I used two in the front, and two in the back.
Make sure you measure and make a mark where you want them so they will be even.








Take your strap and sew it wrong sides together.
Weave it through your grommets, then sew two raw edges together. Hide the seam by pulling that part of the strap inside the bag.










There you have it. I hope this does help some of you.
Remember ask questions in the comments and I will answer you there.
If you make one, I would love, love to see it!









35 comments:

jenni said...

seriously, such a good idea! thanks for sharing. I really like the style of this one!

Ashley said...

oh my! awesome!!! put some in your shop! :)

Shorty said...

Great tutorial! So, where'd ya get those cute red shoes???

Renee Koch said...

What an excellent tutorial!
Thanks!!

MichelleB said...

Love it! I have an old pink jacket I'm considering cutting up. Love those shoes, too.

FinnyKnits said...

Nicely done! I'll have to try this with my skirt. It's a long one, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of leather for a nice big bag. This might be my winter laptop/carryall!

Little Buttercups said...

oooooh, I wonder if Sir William would be alright with cutting up his leather jacket!
I so need a new winter bag and this is the perfect solution!
Thank you for sharing!

nicole said...

YAY! thanks so much...i'm so excited to try this!

The Wooly Wumpus said...

You are really too talented! Thanks for sharing such a great idea!

lucky knitter said...

That was a great tutorial! I always like pictures. My husband should be careful not to leave his jacket around unsupervised. :)

angie said...

So, so cute. I would have never thought of using an old jacket to make a new subtle leather purse.

And, I LOVE your shoes.

kim said...

Wow! That is amazing. I agree with Angie - cute shoozies.

Missy said...

darling! I love your bags. I should give it a go.

Philigry said...

Hey guys,
thanks for all the comments on the shoes. i got them on ebay....
katie

sewstylish said...

Oh Thank you thank you thank you... I think I know what tomorrow's project will be... I have a suede jacket I've been saving just for this. Now I have to find some cool shoes and I shall be styling for tomorrow's open house at my daughters middle school.I will share pics once all is finished.

RisaJ said...

I love that bag.

katrina lauren said...

i fell in love with your first 'coat into a bag' post. with just the project in mind i found the perfect full length navy blue leather treasure i have been saving for a bag just like this(or maybe even two...it is a full length coat afterall!) i love the tutorial...as always your energy & creativity astounds me.
ps. your blog is a favourite place i like to stop by...xo.
k

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

Now I really wish I could sew! Love it!!
Hugs~Kelly

Katlyn said...

What a fun project!

a friend to knit with said...

totally awesome.
totally cool.
thank you, katie!

tiennie said...

That is a fantastic project!!

Jessica said...

What an awesome idea! I'll be keeping my eye out for just the right coat. Thanks!

Lori said...

Wow!! For the past month or more I've had the idea to make a bag out of a leather coat stuck in my head but didn't know if it would be possible. Thanks for the tutorial and showing me it is infact possible!!

I love the bags you made and may need to copy some of your details... :)

Lori said...

I just posted my bag that I made from your tutorial. I love the bag and your tutorial was so clear and helpful (especially for a little hand holding in the scary prospect of sewing leather).

Now to find a jacket for bag #2...

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read the article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

By the way, try Bluetooth jammer to jam all spy devices in your room or at work.

Anonymous said...

quite interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys hear that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.

Anonymous said...

quite interesting post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did anyone hear that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

Jenny said...

I love this! I have been wanting to make a bag out of an old suede jacket that I have, but wasn't sure how to go about it... thanks!

college board said...

Having read this material, I have learned for myself a lot of the new. Thanks

custom paper said...

I think small grommets are also called eyelets, especially when used in clothing or crafting. When using eyelets for crafting, they are generally used decoratively.

Ivonne said...

Absolutely brilliant ! I would buy that one in a instant if I'd see it on a boutique shelve.

proper essay writing said...

I think the fabric shifting mechanism may be a workguide or may be pattern-controlled (e.g., jacquard type). Some machines can create embroidery-type stitches.

Leather Coats said...

nice post love reading it.